Pets are welcome at The Elizabeth, and our condo houses many. Residents are obliged to make themselves aware of the restrictions that come with the pleasures of pet ownership in a tightly knit community.
Here’s what The Elizabeth Bylaws have to say about pets:
“No animals or fowl shall be raised, kept or permitted within the Condominium, except domestic dogs, cats, or other household pets kept within a Primary Unit. No such dogs, cats, or other household pets shall be permitted to run at large or be kept, bred or raised for commercial purposes, or in excess of four (4) per Primary Unit (other than fish). Any inconvenience, damage or unpleasantness caused by such pets shall be the responsibility of the respective Owners thereof. All dogs, cats, or other household pets (other than fish) shall be carried or maintained on a leash while within the confines of Common Element. An Owner may be required to remove a pet after receipt of two notices in writing from the Board of Directors of violations of any Rule, Regulation or restriction governing pets within the Condominium. No animals of any kind shall be permitted to be kept within Storage Units.”
Remember not to let pets relieve themselves in plantings on sidewalks near The Elizabeth — our condo association is responsible for maintaining them. Please curb your dogs!
Disposal of pet waste is an obligation, and considerate pet owners will avoid using the trashcans in The Elizabeth courtyard — on warm days even bagged waste produces an unpleasant odor.
Click on the map icon for directions to alternative public trashcans in the neighborhood: *Interactive map located below*
For a more thorough discussion, read the pertinent section of the House Rules:
“Not all residents in the building are pet owners; some are allergic to animals, and some prefer not to be around them. Pet owners must respect the rights of other residents.
- 20.2 All pets shall be leashed and attended to at all times while in the common areas of the building. Each person who brings or keeps a pet in the building shall be liable for any damage to persons or property caused by the pet. Owners must control their pets at all times.
- 20.3 Pet owners must take their animals away from the building (including the garage) to relieve them.
- a. Pet owners shall not allow their animals to relieve themselves in the planted areas in the sidewalk or on the trees surrounding the building. The care of the trees around the building is the responsibility of the Association. We must maintain them per City ordinance and replace them if they die.
- b. Pet owners are reminded that Portland’s scoop law applies to the Elizabeth Lofts. All waste must be removed.
- 20.4 No pets shall be permitted to run loose or be kept, bred or raised for commercial purposes.
- 20.5 Reptiles (turtles, iguanas, etc.) and rodents (mice, gerbils, hamsters, etc.) must be kept in an appropriate cage or pen and shall not be allowed to run loose in common areas.
- 20.6 Any inconvenience, damage or unpleasantness caused by pets shall be the responsibility of the unit owner. The pet owner is expected to handle removal of any accident immediately. In the event a pet soils a common area and the owner does not clean up after the pet immediately, such an occurrence will be treated as a nuisance and the owner shall be subject to a fine. If the Association incurs any costs to clean and/or deodorize any common area due to a pet’s accident, this cost will be charged to the unit owner. Monetary fines or assessments for damage or clean-up costs necessary because of a pet’s action will be charged to the unit owner. The unit owner shall have the sole obligation to pay any and all fines and expenses resulting from the action of their pet or that of their tenants and/or guests.
- 20.7 Excessive barking in a unit or in the common areas or threatening behavior toward people in the building or soiling the common areas are considered unacceptable pet behaviors and are violations of these rules. At the discretion of the Board, persistent offenses of this nature are subject to fines and/or removal of the pet from the building.
- 20.8 An owner may be required to permanently remove a pet from The Elizabeth Lofts after receipt of two notices in writing from the Board for violation of any Rule, Regulation or restriction governing pets within The Elizabeth Lofts.
- 20.9 Any unattended pet found in a common area may be removed by the appropriate authorities and brought to an animal shelter at the expense of the unit owner.
- 20.10 No animals or fowl shall be raised, kept or permitted within the building, except domestic dogs, cats, birds or other household pets.
- 20.11 Each unit has a limit of four pets, other than fish (Bylaws 7.15).
- 20.12 Cat litter must be double-bagged before going into the garbage chute.”